13 min. read
Are you dreaming of the perfect outdoor space to enjoy warm summer evenings beneath the stars? Or do you have a great patio that just needs some sprucing up?
Whether you’re interested in purchasing a single piece or a complete set, patio furniture can come with a hefty price tag. With the average price range of $200 to $2,500, answering the question of when is the best time to buy patio furniture is crucial to ensuring you don’t break the bank. Read on to find out what time of the year is best for getting a great deal.
Patio furniture prices and sales hinge on a few factors, starting with the new furniture release schedule. If you’re familiar with our article on the best time to buy furniture, you’ll know that new furniture is released biannually. However, patio furniture is unique to this sales pattern and is only released once in February.
Patio furniture sales depend on the release of new furniture in February and the end of peak sales season.
The second key factor after the release of new furniture is the end of the peak sale season. During the spring and summer months, the demand for outdoor-friendly furniture is high, and retailers will be less inclined to offer sales.
However, as the weather starts to cool, you’ll start to find much better prices, but the selection will be a little slimmer than it would be if you were shopping during the summer. Prices drop around Labor Day and continue to fall throughout autumn and winter. This makes Labor Day the absolute best time of the year to find a great deal on a wide selection of patio furniture.
With patio furniture sales expected to increase after pandemic disruptions, understanding retail patterns is the best way to buy the perfect outdoor set for a reasonable price. Next, we’ll dive into why Labor Day offers the best sales and include other sales that take place throughout the year below.
If you’re determined to find some of the year's lowest prices, January and February will be your time to look. With many retailers preparing to receive an influx of new furniture in February, they’ll be eager to move existing inventory, so keep an eye on the clearance and sales sections of your local stores and websites.
While you can find the lowest prices of the year during this time, you will find that your options are extremely limited. While the price might be right, it might be the right price on the wrong item, which is why this isn’t the best time to buy patio furniture.
Earth Day is celebrated every April 22nd and “marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.” Companies that focus on producing sustainable furniture often offer sales during this time, but you shouldn’t expect to find sales at furniture stores that aren’t focused on sustainability.
Earth Day is celebrated every April 22nd and marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
If you’re eyeing a sustainable brand, look out for sales from mid-March to April. If you’re unsure where to find sustainable outdoor furniture, The Good Trade’s "7 Sustainable & Eco-Friendly Outdoor Furniture Brands" article is a great place to start.
Falling on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day is considered by many as the true start of summer. With most schools closing or coming to a close for summer break, many families are getting ready to enjoy more time outside. Memorial Day Weekend is also the weekend with the highest demand for patio furniture, so you probably won’t find the lowest prices of the year, but snagging a deal is possible.
During this time, you can expect to find discounts on a wide variety of patio furniture. Aside from Earth Day (during which you can usually only find deals on sustainable and ethically sourced furniture), Memorial Day is the first sales period following the release of new furniture in February, which means that most retailers will have a fully stocked inventory.
Typically, patio furniture is at its most expensive during the summer because the warm weather and long days of sunshine keep the demand and prices high. Until the 4th of July, that is. Not only is the country celebrating Independence Day with fireworks and barbecues, but the weeks leading up to the holiday bring a 70% increase in the demand for patio furniture.
Similar to Memorial Day, you probably won’t find the best prices on patio furniture during the 4th of July, but the prices will steadily decline as the demand falls and the weather starts changing.
Labor Day is a national holiday that creates a three-day weekend for many, allowing us to enjoy some of the remaining summer days. It’s a holiday that also marks the start of one of the largest patio furniture sales of the year.
The changing season makes Labor Day the best time of the year to find a great discount on patio furniture, especially if you want a new set released in February.
Since Labor Day falls after the months when the demand is highest, you might find slightly slimmer pickings than you would find at sales earlier in the summer season. However, retailers will still be well-stocked and eager to sell as much patio furniture as possible before they reach the winter months.
If you’re looking for some of the year's lowest prices, try shopping after Labor Day through Black Friday in late November.
Following Labor Day, retailers start preparing their showrooms and warehouses to receive new models in February. You won’t find a wide selection of items during this time frame; however, a little patience and exploration through clearance sections can be worthwhile when finding great deals that aren’t available at any point during the year.
Patio furniture is the most expensive from February to September. These prices are influenced by the increased demand for outdoor furniture during the warmer spring and summer months.
Unless you’re shopping during the sales periods listed above, patio furniture is the most expensive from the time new models are released during February through the end of summer.
So, if you’re shopping for our outdoor area while the weather is warm, refer to the sales above to ensure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
If you’re new to the world of outdoor living and lounging, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the different types of furniture and styles available. However, choosing the right outdoor furniture can significantly enhance your enjoyment of your outdoor living space, whether you have a small balcony or a sprawling backyard.
Now that you know the best time to buy patio furniture, it’s time to cover an overview of what you’ll find available on the market, including different types of patio furniture, styles, and materials. These details will give you a keen eye for finding the perfect piece.
At a glance, patio furniture might seem like a straightforward purchase. It’s just a bunch of chairs and tables, right? Wrong! The reality of outdoor furnishing is that it’s as versatile as indoor furnishing, each designed for a specific purpose.
From chairs to benches, here are some of the most common types of patio furniture:
- Outdoor Chairs: Chairs come in many different styles, including dining chairs, lounge chairs, rocking chairs, and Adirondack chairs, to name a few. Some are designed for comfort with built-in cushions, while others are designed for functionality.
- Outdoor Tables: Outdoor tables can be used for dining, playing games, or simply relaxing. They come in many sizes and shapes, including small bistro tables, large dining tables, coffee tables, and side tables.
- Outdoor Benches: Outdoor benches are an excellent choice for seating many people. Some outdoor benches have built-in storage so you can maximize your space.
- Outdoor Lounges: The phrase ‘outdoor lounges’ typically refers to anything with a deep seat, such as a couch, chaise lounge, and chairs, depending on the retailer.
- Outdoor Swings: Outdoor swings, including hammocks, are fun and playful additions to any outdoor living space.
- Umbrellas: Umbrellas are a great way to maximize the time you spend outside, especially if you live somewhere sunny. Many dining sets and bistro tables have built-in slots for umbrellas to keep the installation process simple.
- Fire pits: Nothing beats enjoying a nice fire outside, and fire pits are a great addition to most backyard setups. Check out HGTV’s article Fire Pit Safety to ensure you enjoy your flames in peace.
When choosing outdoor furniture, it’s essential to consider your outdoor living space's specific needs and functionality. As you plan for your purchase, ask yourself how you’d like to spend your time outside. For example, if you’re interested in hosting dinner parties and entertaining, consider a dining table that seats many people. On the other hand, if you want to enjoy the peace and quiet of your yard by yourself, a hammock might be a great option.
While we might not all live in a material world, understanding the popular materials that patio furniture is made from can help you as you search for the perfect outdoor additions to your home.
The most popular furniture on the market is made from wood, metal, synthetic material, and fabric. Let’s look at some of the most popular options for each category.
- Teak: According to Scout & Nimble, “Teak is the most highly recommended material for wooden outdoor furniture among designers.” It’s known for producing its own oils, making it easy to care for, and it lasts around 50–70 years. However, it can be an expensive option.
- Rattan: Rattan is a thin, reed-like fibrous plant similar to bamboo. It’s lightweight, flexible, and frequently woven into wicker furniture.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is another wood with high oil content, and it’s popular because it stands up well against water, rotting, decay, and wear and tear. Eucalyptus is a less expensive option to teak, but it only lasts up to 25 years.
- Acacia: Another wood with high oil content, acacia, is known for being “resistant to water, rot, and insects, making it ideal for wet and dry climates.” In addition, it’s an incredibly affordable option for patio furniture because acacia trees grow faster than teak or eucalyptus.
- Cedar: Cedar wood has natural resins that naturally resist rot and pests like termites. It’s a low-maintenance wood that is highly resistant to moisture, humidity, and weather.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is a popular metal for patio furniture because it’s durable and low maintenance, as it isn’t prone to rust when exposed to moist or salty air. It’s incredibly lightweight, however, so it might not be a good option if you live in a very windy area.
- Steel: A much heavier metal than aluminum, steel is known for being durable and long-lasting. Steel is a popular metal for coastal locations, especially galvanized and stainless steel, which can resist corrosion. In addition, its heavier weight means it won’t blow away in the wind.
- Resins: Another material that’s suitable for sunny and coastal locations, resin is a manufactured substance known for being easy to maintain. It’s commonly used to create wicker and woven furniture and is popular in classic styles.
- Plastics: Plastic is unique because it can be molded into many unique and colorful options. In addition to being lightweight and durable, it’s frequently used in modern furniture designs.
- Concrete: Concrete is a heavy material frequently used to create sleek, modern furniture and accent pieces. It’s also porous, which means liquid can soak through the surface and stain the concrete. According to Lumens, you want to look for concrete that blends other materials, like fiberglass or resin, to help protect the surface from stains.
- Acrylic: Acrylic fabric is popular for outdoor cushions. It’s durable and resistant to the elements and UV rays, meaning patterns and colors won’t fade. In addition, acrylic is soft and breathable, making it an excellent option for hot climates. Unfortunately, acrylic fabrics can be expensive.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is similar to acrylic in that it’s durable and resistant to the elements, but vinyl differs in that it doesn’t ventilate as efficiently as acrylic. During hot weather, the lack of ventilation can cause a stickiness that some might find unpleasant against bare skin.
- Polyester: Polyester is a highly inexpensive fabric for your outdoor pillows and cushions. It comes in many vibrant colors and patterns, but unlike acrylic and vinyl, polyester is the fabric that will fade in the sun the fastest.
Outdoor furniture comes in a wide range of styles, each with unique features and design elements. Here are some of the most popular outdoor furniture styles available on the market:
- Modern: Sleek, simple lines and a focus on functionality are hallmarks of modern patio furniture. Common materials used in this design include metal, plastic, and concrete.
- Traditional: Traditional patio furniture is often made from natural materials like wood or wicker and feature ornate details, classic designs, and fabrics with busy patterns.
- Coastal: Coastal patio furniture designs feature light, airy materials like rattan, woven rope, and wicker. Blues and greens are popular colors incorporated in this design.
- Rustic: Rustic patio furniture is all about natural, organic materials like wood and stone. It frequently features rough-hewn finishes and distressed details and has a casual, laid-back feel.
- Industrial: Industrial outdoor furniture often features metal frames and simple, no-frills designs. Like modern furniture, industrial pieces feature clean, sleek lines and are good choices for those who want a modern, urban look.
When choosing an outdoor furniture style, it’s essential to consider how it will fit with your overall outdoor design aesthetic. If you’re a first-time buyer unsure of what style will appeal to you, start by thinking about your home’s interior. If you’re happy with how your home looks on the inside, look for outdoor furniture that complements that style.
Patio furniture is an investment that allows you to create unique outdoor spaces, perfect for entertaining and relaxation. With the right timing, you can secure excellent patio furniture deals and set yourself up with a beautiful outdoor setup. So while Memorial Day is the best time to buy patio furniture, if it’s not the right time for you or your budget, you’re now ready to take advantage of the other sales.
If you’re interested in saving money on other items, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to stay in the BTTB loop and receive updates on monthly sales and site improvements.